Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Lovin' My Robby On Our Anniversary

Robby and I were married 3 years ago today. It's absolutely the best decision I've ever made in my life. He saved me from the nightmare that was my dating life. And I saved him from marrying my roommate, which would have been fatal to everyone involved. ~~~ The timing in our specific situation was especially crucial to lead us into eternal happiness. It was amazing how well everything fit together. We had to make fast, serious decisions and neither of us were afraid to make them, which made the transition that much smoother. I think it scared all our family members, though. Luckily, they supported us and hid their fear very well. ~~~ Robby and I were enemies for several months before even enjoying each other's company. I moved into the apartment of his girlfriend in January '04 and we didn't start dating until July. I hated him because he always made fun of me in front of everyone and made me feel like an idiot. I even occasionally cried when I was "extra emotional", if ya know what I mean. ~~~ He hated me because I always hit him jokingly. It wasn't hard enough to hurt, it just annoyed him (and still does to this day). This only fueled his anger and ability to come up with jokes about me. (The one I remember the most and will never forget, to his dismay, was when I needed to get my hair high-lighted and I was self-conscience about my roots and Robby said, "Geez, Mel. Could you put on a hat or something?") ~~~ One day, Robby decided he wanted to make a peace offering. He knew of my love of cars so he rented "Cars Detroit Never Built" from the library and left it in front the door of my room. We had talked about it so I knew it was from him. From that point on, we were much better friends. ~~~ The rest is history. Today we celebrate more than our anniversary; we celebrate the day we mutually decided that we would never be enemies again. And we haven't! We are BFF and have been from Day 1. ~~~ Looking back at everything that has happened in our 3 years together, it's amazing we are still alive! Just this past year alone should have killed us. But together we seem to be able to do anything. We've coached each other through bad times and celebrated the good. I can't think of a better person to spend eternity with (and I've had my fair share of boyfriends). ~~~ So today, we both honor a day neither of us have ever achieved before with a companion. I beat the ex-wife and he beat the ex-boyfriend. Hooray! We win! And had a great time doing it. ~~~
Happy Number 3 Honey! I Love You!

10 comments:

Lyndsay said...

Hooray for love!

Tina McKinnon said...

Congrats!!! That is awesome! We are so glad you made the decision, too!
I remember this day well, also, for another reason... We knew our mission call was waiting for us, so we drove straight thru to get home to get it! As we passed the Santaquin, Utah exit, we noticed it and discussed the pronounciation of it. We hurried home to find the doors of the Post Office locked, so we had to wait till the next day to find out we would be spending 18 months in Elberta, Utah at the church's dairy... about 10 miles down that road leading from the Santaquin exit!!! Kind of spooky!
Anyway, we're sure happy for you and love your love for each other! Keep up the good work!
xoxox
t.

Sarah-Olivia said...

Hey Mel,
I hope you guys had a great anniversary! I was actually thinking about your guys anniversary the other day! I remember I was staying with your family when you guys set a date. My mom and I had come down to UT for a family conference thing and I got to meet your hubby for the first time. (not that you needed to know all that) but, I knew it was coming up, is my point, and I was thinking about you. Hope all is well.
Love ya,
Sarah

Karen said...

I LOVE that you've beat the exes and I LOVE how you've weathered the storm ...

If I were a drinker, I'd be toasting you both right now. And I DO drink water! So ...

Here's to a couple who define LOVE for all of us who might forget it's definition along the way.

Happy Anniversary cute couple!

Lauren said...

What a cute story! I hope you have a Happy Anniversary!!!

Meredith said...

you are funny. good story! Im glad it worked..and still is workin great for you guys! Its funny how things turn out huh??!!

Natalie said...

Congrats kiddo! Have a good one!

The Holmes Fam said...

Happy Anniversary! Mom told me Robby surprised you in the morning. I think that's so sweet! Hope the rest of your day was wonderful. I can't believe it's already been 3 years!

Robin said...

Happy Anniversary!I love that picture!

KatieJ said...

Congratulations! That is a funny story- you guys seem like such a great couple!