Thursday, November 29, 2007

And Keeping With The Theme. . .

Ah, 3rd Grade. This is my class in full. All 15 of us. We eventually made it up to 18 in 6th Grade, which was the highest in the elementary school. But our town of St. John, WA only had about 550 people in it so it's not our fault.
~
What I like best are all the sweet outfits we're sportin'. Whenever we had picture day, we always wore our best. And I always made sure to put my hair in curlers the night before. It must not have turned out well this day as it is in a ponytail.
~
The people I still keep in touch with are Amy Kolb (far left on bottom row), Larissa Leifer, Leigh Anna Scheuerman (who joined us in 4th grade and whose dad was the principal), and a few various others on Facebook. In elementary, we were the St. John Elementary Eagles (as our elementary hallway connected with the high school hallway in an "L" shape).
~
When we moved onto middle school, we joined with a neighboring town (about 15 miles away), Endicott. Since the school was in Endicott, that made us the Endicott-St. John Wildcats. I think our class made it up to 32 people (but I know that Phil & Hill's were in the 20's).
~
In 9th grade, we all went back to St. John and became the St. John-Endicott Eagles. After 9th grade, I moved to Provo and went to Timpview (which is heard 'round the world as the worst of the Provo high schools). But I survived, ish (refer to my Hawaii story).
~
Now, I have the most wonderful and understanding (and hottest) husband on earth and the most beautiful children. Plus, Gracie is hilarious and so much fun to hang out with all day.
~
Did anyone else have to combine schools because their town was so small?

10 comments:

Are We There Yet? said...

The elementary and Junior High that I went to were not combined but once we hit High School, it was combined with about 4 other small towns around the area. Luckily they all came our way and we only had a 3 min. drive to school...they had up to 20 min drive.

Lyndsay said...

Omigosh! Add curly hair and that's Gracie. :)

Jenna said...

On the contrary, my graduating class had over 900 people in it. Our high school split the next year. I guess it's good since my high school was becoming a little ghetto-ish. Sweet get-up, sis.

Leigh Anna said...

Oh gosh, this picture is priceless...oh the days of Jr High..riding the bus, singing songs, and being really annoying while the 8th graders hated us...those were the days!

=)Larissa said...

OH my goodness! I LOVE THIS!! I am at work and just balling my eyes out - what's up with that? Haha, I miss you Mel!! Oh my oh my, I heard Ace of Base "The Sign" yesterday and it totally reminded me of you and of us making up a dance routine at your house when you and Mary shared a room!! HILARIOUS!!!

Stephanie said...

i love the legging/big sweater combo. it's pretty sweet. i also love your new header. very festive.

huffmire fam said...

THANK YOU for the good laugh I just got, sis. Fantastic. The photo gets better the closer you look at it. And thanks for the reminder of how things were back in the day in S.J. Yes, my class topped out at 23 senior year and I think Phil's MAY have even been 19 (all towns combined). I like that we can see the lines on the gym floor - it's a nice touch. I miss you tons too, sis, and can't wait to see you guys and Gracie-kins. Per your and Megan's idea: Lilly and I did make a paper chain countdown today.

Kacey said...

uhhh home girl. My graduating class was bigger than your home town! It was over 900!...And yes...I was the most popular and beautiful of them all....hahaha..at least that's what my mom says.

Tina McKinnon said...

I happen to agree with your mom, Kacey!! I didn't know anything about small-town schools, either. I went to school in Phoenix and my graduating class (North Phoenix High School (Mustangs... Go Mustangs!), 1968!)was humongous, too! At least you knew your all classmates! love the pix! xox

MARIE said...

Mel, I'm quite rather enjoying your flashbacks. Keep it up.