Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Ugh.

This weekend was one that I hope to soon forget. Kidney stones have much more determination and stamina than we give them credit for. They stuck with Robby from Thursday night until last night.

Thankfully, my cold turned into a cough and now it's easing it's way out because I was pretty much the healthiest one in our house all weekend.

Robby's stones would move at random, long intervals and he would be down and out for unknown amounts of time. I have never seen him in so much pain before and neither one of us knew what to do for him besides shove narcotics and anti-inflammatories down his throat. That was all that seemed to work, anyway.

But that's not all. Gracie's fever hit a personal best at 104.8! I didn't know fevers actually got that high without resulting in death. She is still alive and the fever hasn't been so bad since then, it's just lingering for way too long. So she's been getting almost regular doses of Tylenol and Ibuprofen. She still has a fever as we speak and I know it's bothering her when she holds her breath for a few seconds then lets it out quickly. As if holding her breath eases the pain. The only good thing about this lame fever is that she is more cuddly than normal. On Sunday, she would sit in my lap on the rocking chair for 10 minutes at a time and watch football with me. In return, I tried to make it fun for her by making exciting sounds when the ball was thrown. She didn't care one way or the other. She was obviously miserable.

However, we finally have something to show for such a nasty fever. A tooth broke through on the bottom in the front. Finally! My suspicions have been correct! I can't imagine that is a fun place to feel teeth come in so it's no wonder her misery is so obvious. I doubt I helped matters last night when we were picking up. Just as I was shutting the toy drawer, she slipped her little finger in and I smashed it. I have never felt like such a horrible mother in all my life. Here she is, suffering through her worst fever ever, and I go ahead and seal the deal by squashing her little, baby finger.

But that wasn't all we had to deal with last night, if you can believe it. Yesterday afternoon, Robby starting throwing up everything he ate. Hour on the hour. As if we weren't dealing with enough. We finally got a little nausea medication to stay in his stomach just long enough to help him get to sleep, but not long enough to stop the throw up. Once he was sleep, he stayed that way until this morning, thank goodness. He felt good enough to go in to work, but sore from the kidney stone tearing him up and the violent vomiting that required the use of every muscle in his body. So far, no vomit and no kidney stone. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

So today, I'm trying to get my own schedule back and Gracie feeling better. I need some rest of my own and some time to myself and hopefully I will get that at some point this week. Until then, I'm not holding my breath.

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

guy! i am glad you guys are on the mend. what a weekend. sorry it was the pits.

Lyndsay said...

Oh man—We are going through fever and teeth eruption, too, so I feel ya! Sorry you had a stinky weekend. Hopefully it will pick up, and Robby will feel better soon (and all of you, actually)! That pic of Gracie is classic. Poor doll.

Kelsey said...

What a horrible weekend. Well, things can only start getting better, right?

I was looking for some explanation of that picture of Gracie. Explanation or no, it's a very cute picture in a sad baby sort of way.

Karen said...

I think this is the perfect time to exclaim the oxymoron ... Good Grief!

At least Robby is done teething ...

Emily said...

Oh my gosh, you poor things!!

Natalie said...

Yike! That's all I have to say.

melmck said...

kelsey, gracie's faking distress. she would get in and out of that position while we watched. it was just funny to see her feet touching the ground from inside the crib. so all is well.

Sadie said...

That sounds like one of the worst possible weekends ever!! I'm glad at least Gracie has something to show for her miserable fever. Hopefully Robby soon? Gracie is too too cute! And I can brag that I've even held her! (memorial day weekend)

Meredith said...

Oh my gosh...POOR YOU...that just sucks, there is nothing else to say. I know you hate Hawaii, but you need a GOOD vacation :)