Friday, November 9, 2007

What? No! Let Me Do It!

My honey bunches is in pain!
~
He has this condition called "Kidney Stones" and started feeling it last night. Then, was up with pain all though the night, and now is gone to work to clean carpets for the day, thinking he's going to be able to hide it because he has the necessary medication.
~
When I was watching him get ready this morning, I saw him pause for about 20 seconds at a time, looking down, and I could almost feel it. The unlocalized piercing that just won't stop, no matter what you do.
~
This was how he described it: "It's like looking at a hot, burning stove and knowing you are going to burn your hand on it, it's just a matter of time."
I said, "Exactly like having a baby, my friend."
He gave much appreciation and thanks to me for that because it is, after all, voluntary.
~
Seeing him in this kind of pain that I have felt makes my heart droop and my thoughts weary. I can't think of anything more important than doing whatever I can for him. So when he has to leave me, what do I do?
~
I get prescriptions called in to wherever he needs, go to the bank, and rack my brain for anything else that might be helpful to him in his state. I mean sure, I gave birth. But I certainly wasn't walking around, cleaning carpets while it was all going on. Not to mention having to think at all.
~
So I'm up early today just hoping he will call with something physical I can do for him to make him feel good. Until then, it's just the prayers and errands he needs from me.
~
Isn't there some kind of machine that was made for the purpose of taking on pain for other people? No matter what the cost I would buy it for Robby and my kids. I know pain; I'm good at pain. So why do people who aren't have to go through it?
(I know the answer, I just think it should be a different one.)

11 comments:

Karen said...

Dang, dang, dang. I'm so grateful that I was excluded from that Kidney Stone gene. I watched Kristi go through it and it makes me sick when I hear of Dad and Robby still dealing with it. Stones just aren't supposed to be there! I'm sad for Robby, but I'm sure glad he has such a great wife to take care of him. Please let me know if you need any help.

dean and chelle said...

Awww, I'm so sorry Mel. And I'm so sorry to Robby. You eventually pass kidney stones, right? This isn't going to be an ongoing thing?

=)Larissa said...

Ah.........I feel his pain. I just had kidney stones like two weeks ago and I thought I was going to die!!! :( They hurt SOOOOOOOO bad, in fact, yes, I have even heard it can be worse than having a child - now that's serious!! Well, I am praying for the guy - I know what he is going through. I have "no-no" diet from my doctor: no pop, no coffee, no chocolate, no tea, no nuts!! Yep...and lower the salt intake. Not a lot of berries or meat! G's - you'd think all that would be healthy!! Perhaps this is for my kind of stone (but there are the most common)!

Okay, well I am praying for ya'll! Take care, Robby!

=)

emidinkl said...

Ditto to your first comment from Karen. I am so impressed with your ability to nurture your husband. I could take a lesson or ten.
I hope your household feels better soon!

Tina McKinnon said...

Oh, darn! That's terrible! Sure glad he can't blame ME for these things! Glad you're there for him!
xox

KatieJ said...

Oh no poor Robby! Shouldn't he be in the hospital or something? Too bad he can't get an epidural, poor guy! Good luck to you both- thank goodness this year is almost over for you guys! ((((hugs))))

Lauren said...

Awww...that is sad! My friend had kidney stones and I felt so bad for her. I can't even imagine having to watch the one you love go through that. I hope he feels better.

MARIE said...

I'm one of those that AREN'T good at pain. Bless Poor Robby!

My name is Ali... said...

Oh geez, I had kidney stones when I was 17 and to this day was the worst physical pain I've ever been in!! I can't believe he is functioning and cleaning carpets! Impressive and crazy! Relax and get better, what a bummer! I hope they pass soon and both he and you feel the relief! Much love! xoxo

Oscar said...

My dad gets kidney stones almost every year and sometimes he has been in so much pain he actually passes out! Poor Robby and poor you not being to make the pain go away for him. A treatment that works well to break up the stone is at the hospital they put my dad in a big pool of water and then they use sound waves to break it apart so he can pass the pieces easier. Maybe you guys should talk to your dr. about this. Good luck!

Karen said...

Come on Robby - PUSH!