Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Movie Depression

Robby and I watched "Reign Over Me" last night without really knowing what it was about. I'd read the back but it didn't go into much detail. It was 2 hours long and we started it after Gracie finally went to sleep so it seemed like it took forever.

The story is about a man named Charlie (Adam Sandler) who loses his wife and 3 daughters in 9/11 and pretty much loses touch with reality after that. He doesn't talk about his family, he breaks out in rage frequently, he wears headphones and listens to his iPod all day, and is, for the most part, a basket case. (Adam Sandler was phenomenal, by the way. It's the best acting I've ever seen from him.)

An old friend of Charlie's named Alan (Don Cheadle, who's always been an amazing actor and did not disappoint on this one) finds him randomly in the streets of New York and they start hanging out again. Charlie will only remain friends with Alan because Alan knows nothing about his family and won't ask questions. They become good friends with a great bond. Alan seems to know just what Charlie needs and after several hiccups and obstacles, Charlie finally gets the help he needs. It's a great story, had great acting, and was a good idea for a movie so ultimately I would say I enjoyed it.

However, there is one point in movie where Charlie has to tell his story. It was well done and made me cry. I spent the rest of the movie thinking about losing Gus, how I've coped compared to him, what I would do if I lost Robby and Gracie at the same time, and how much I miss Gus.

It was like a punch in the chest and the familiar physical pain all came rushing back. I hate when that happens, especially when I feel like I've been doing so well. I have to start all over and work through crap I've already worked through. I just wish more time had passed and that it didn't feel like it happened yesterday.

7 comments:

Robin said...

I'm so sorry for the punch in the gut feeling. I can't imagine what it would feel like to go through what you've been through and then to be stabbed by the pain of it from strange reminders like this. I love you and please call me anytime to talk or hang out. Loved seeing you and crazy Gracie on MOnday.

Tina McKinnon said...

Maybe going thru the stuff a second time will go more quickly and not take so much time.... I'm positive if you did it once, you can do it again... I just have to think that, evenutally, each time there's a reminder, it will become less painful... the memories and the difficult times will never leave you entirely, but there will come a time, hopefully in the not too distant future, that they'll be in a place where you can handle them easier... Lean on Him...
xox

Jim & Jami said...

Keep looking to Him.....and continue to know you will see Gus again.....Take a step at a time, my Dad has always told me the harder the grapes are pressed, the sweeter the wine.....I think of you guys daily, you are in my prayers.

mom holmes said...

Honey- You HAVE been doing well and you DON'T have to start over again. It just feels like that right now. I'm sorry to say that even with more time this kind of thing will happen for a while. Unfortunately, it is all part of the process. So, cry and let yourself feel the pain for a bit. But don't get discouraged. When you are done, distract yourself again. Each time it happens it will get you further along with the process. I am proud of you. You are doing well. I love you.

Karen said...

Hey Mel, dangit. I hate hurt. Remember you said that one of your New Year's Resolutions was to remember Gus more? Well look at you following through with your resolution, even though it hurts. You aren't walking around all day long listening to your iPod and slipping into denial. You are facing it and talking about it and crying over it and blogging it. You are keepin' it real, and because of that, you will heal. You will and you are! Pat yourself on the back and just keep getting up each day. Time is truly one of our greatest gifts.

emidinkl said...

Mel. I'm reading all these comments thinking to myself--What an amazing support system you have. All of these women commenting, truly love you and are so wise. I learn from you and your readers every day.
I read somewhere that it is a blessing to be able to feel something so deeply. Even if it is hurt you are feeling---you are more like Christ because of it. Those of us who have not felt something so intensely cannot understand to the degree you can, what our Savior has done for us.

KatieJ said...

I hate when movies and TV shows jerk around my emotions! (unless it makes me happy of course) You know alot about pain and can empathize with people and truly understand their pain- that's a blessing- you are strong and proof that live can go on after tragety.