Tuesday, February 26, 2008

New Conversation

Who knew the woman who visited me today would turn out to be such a delight?

Her name is Holly and I seriously had no idea what she could want to talk to me about! She's older than me and I've never seen her before but everyone in my ward knows me, whether I like it or not.

She has a very outgoing personality which always makes me feel more comfortable and like I can be a little more myself. Turns out, she has a sister named Candace, who has dealt with depression and all kinds of mood disorders her whole life and she's 31.

Holly wanted to talk to be about my depression and how I dealt with it while I was pregnant and afterwards so she could tell Candace about it, should she decide to get pregnant.

Phew! Depression, Post-Partum Depression, Anxiety, Pregnancy: THAT I can talk about with no problems. Bring it on.

It was a great conversation. She was so sweet and sensitive to my situation and very similar to me where she says exactly what's on her mind without thinking about it first. (Don't worry, that's only my list of things to work on.)

We had fun chatting and I got to give her some advice to give her sister about the things I've learned from having depression and PPD and feeling so lost. It feels so good when I can actually give someone instruction on how to best avoid or just deal with PPD because it is the worst type of depression, in my humble opinion.

So let this be a notification to all those out there who may be dealing with depression, but don't want to admit it, or may be dealing with anxiety, but don't know what it is, or may have PPD, and can't take it anymore. I'm happy to help.

Mind you, these are my only areas of knowledge. If you're looking for someone to build you bookcase, you're in the wrong place.

I didn't know I had this ability but anytime I have the chance to make someone's life a little easier through my own life experiences, I'm willing to take it.

7 comments:

Mrs. Burns said...

Dang. And I was just about to call you and ask you to build me a bookcase.

I love you and hope you are doing well.

Stephanie said...

phew. i'm glad it went well. i was kind of nervous for you. you are definitely the resident ppd expert.

Karen said...

I love a good sister looking out for her own! Maybe you're onto something girl ... I say if this happens more than three times, you get to start charging for your advice.

Amber said...

Mel, that's awesome. I'm glad her visit was good and made you feel useful. Nothing perks me up faster than feeling truly useful. (Of course you are always useful, but sometimes we take for granted what we do for our children and hubbys. To be able to help someone outside of that circle makes me feel really good.)

Meredith said...

you are a entertaining writer. It may not always be happy posts (which is great that you are still posting about things) but you are a good writer..write a book.

And what a cool girl to have the "guts" to come talk to someone she dosent know. It sounds like you helped her and you at the same time.

Staci Lynn said...

Somehow helping others will help you heal yourself. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Mel,
I am Colleen, Robin Brimley's mom. I have dealt with depression for the last 12 years or more. So many people say weird things like "snap out of it!" as if I could shrug it off and behave. Oh well....keep up the good work. Love, Colleen