Monday, March 31, 2008

Fun With Felt

I'm not crafty.
Not one bit.

But for the sake of Gracie, I've tried to find my inner-Martha Stewart.

While trying to think of fun things for Gracie to do, I came across some felt boards on the web somehow and thought I could buy one or try to make my own. I always loved them when I was little and if you mix up the characters and scenery enough, it can create hours of recreation.

Now, I realize it would have been cheaper and faster to purchase a felt board with different scenes, but I thought this would be simple enough and it was the principle of the thing; starting with a small, crafty project and see what inspires me from there.

So I bought all the supplies, involved one of the craftiest people I know for help, ideas, and guidance and we made them together. Her kids are older so her board will be used for more practical purposes while Gracie is just trying to understand why the pieces stay on and what the point is.

I found a sticker book of Strawberry Shortcake (her current favorite mode of entertainment) and they are the present characters she has to work with (and by 'work with', I mean line up in a row).

At any rate, I was very pleased with the turn-out of the project, as every other project I've tried fails irreversibly at least 1/3 of the way through.

Even though she only sticks with it for 2 to 3 minutes at a time, it's still something else for her to do and thank goodness for that.

Also, thank goodness for the aforementioned crafty person and her help and guidance. I highly recommend her for your next Martha Stewart craft.

8 comments:

Shauna said...

Good job! I LOVE flannel boards and everything felt. We're working on a FHE flannel board story right now... at 6:57AM. Cute new header.

Stephanie said...

um, i think you need to meet some craftier people. :) also, i don't remember offering much advice on the project. you pretty much had it figured out from the get-go. and they turned out fabulous!

Tina said...

That is way cool! Way to go... You know, there are tons of church websites with all kinds of pictures... primary sites, family home evening, etc... you could print off about anything you could think of on your printer. Also, at WalMart and I'm sure a lot of other places, you can buy, in the stationary/office supply department, easy laminating sheets that will help protect them. Then you can just put whatever is necessary on the backs to hold them on the board.
I can't wait until this weekend!!! Yahoo!
xox

Becky said...

Looks cute! I love a good craft and it's always worth it even for 5 minutes of the kids playing by themselves!

Riki Lee said...

Way to go! I need one of those too.

The McKinnon 4 said...

HOW FUN! VERY CUTE!

Lyndsay said...

Oh, good idea! I love felt boards.

emidinkl said...

I love felt boards! As a kid I would cut out the toys in the sunday ads,put felt on them--stick em up on my board. I told everyone I had one of every toy at the store. Yeah. I was pretty much a twit.