Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Parks A-Plenty

Thanks to Robby's great purchase, Gracie and I have been able to go on a few bike rides around our little community. It's good exercise for me and Gracie loves the ride and, most of all, loves her helmet or "hat", as she calls it. She gets really excited when I pull it out of the closet.

On a ride Robby and Gracie went on a few weeks ago, they found a great park really close by with a nice big soccer field for Gracie to run around. So last week I decided to ride over there so Gracie could play and I would relax in the sun.

We got out and about and as I started passing the park, I saw a few "curious characters", as in older men just hanging out around the children's play area. I think they were maintenance people but were clearly slacking on their job. There was no way I was stopping there, nor did I want to make it seem obvious to them that I was specifically avoiding their scariness.

So I kept on peddling and made it seem like I was aiming for the grassy area on the other side of a small hill. There were a few sidewalks over there but nothing exciting enough to keep Gracie's attention long enough. Then, I noticed on the other side of the street a totally random, down in a small retention basin, playground. It was obviously in need of some up-keep but it had a couple slides and things for Gracie to climb on so I gave it a try. It was great!

It would seem that there are plenty of small, random parks all over the place in our area. If I kept going into the maze of streets, I bet I would have found more but I also would have been lost.

I need a GPS on my bike.

6 comments:

emidinkl said...

Cool! I'm envious of your parks a-plenty. We don't got so much of that over hear in ghetto-land. More like, Parks A-scary: )Gotta love my little corner of Mesa.

Tina said...

I LOVE that picture!! Soooo cute! Glad you're enjoying the great out-of-doors! xox

Karen said...

Love the picture, love parks and I'm actually loving our weather.

Jenna said...

I have great memories of playing in parks when I was little. It's such a luxury to have so many park options for kids. And I think that bike is super righteous. It reminds me of the 80's for some reason. I would like to see a picture of you riding your bike with Gracie on the back.

Heather said...

What a cute picture of Gracie!

hillary said...

that is so awesome that you have a bike to take Gracie around on. That's so much more fun than loading a kid in and out of a car. that sounds like so much fun. i totally remember riding behind mom or dad and loving it.