Friday, May 2, 2008

Me & My Dad

In this picture, my dad and I are removing all the water from the water softener so he can refill it with fresh water and softener. It was pretty disgusting, especially when I got the brine all over my feet. But it all turned out fine.

As most of you know, my dad is a family practice doctor and recently his practice was voted the best in Utah County. Frankly, I'm not surprised. He should get the award for best Doctor in North America, not that I'm biased or anything.

For the next two weeks, he's left on his own in an empty nest while my mom is traversing around the countryside. But he's always done fine on his own. He has hundreds of random projects around the house that are on a list in his shirt pocket.

However, he never can seem to get that list accomplished on account of all the women he has in labor almost every day of the week. He also does random favors for friends and family at any point in time, whenever he feels like it.

You will never meet a nicer or more honest person in your life. All growing up, I heard him talk sporadically about how he hoped he never became a bishop. It was no secret that he did not want that position in our church. Then, when we moved to Utah, he was called as a bishop over a singles ward. He was not excited about it but he served with full force and seemed to love it. Even though everyday was fast Sunday for him as he had meetings before church and interviews after church. When he was released about a year ago, while he knew it was coming, it was still hard for him to let go of all the singles he'd worked so hard with.

When I was younger, I loved watching my dad work in the garage and helping him fix things. That was where my love of cars started. He taught me how to change my own oil, change my break pads, change a flat tire, and the like. We still talk about cars and other similar interests we have. He always says that he's sure I have some testosterone in me somewhere.

The one thing people can't seem to get past is the fact that my dad was my primary doctor when I was pregnant with Gracie. I had lots of contractions with her and he would check my cervix weekly. It was never weird for me but even Robby still can't quite get past it. While my dad's partner was supposed to deliver me, he ended up having to do another delivery in another hospital and my dad was already at my hospital so he was there to deliver Gracie. It was the best delivery experience ever. The only people in the room were Robby, the nurse, my mom coaching me, and my dad telling me when to push. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

I'm also going to get an IUD put in and my dad's going to do that for me when we go up there for Memorial Day. Robby still thinks it's weird but I won't have to pay for it so I'm not complaining.

I understand how most people would think that it is weird that your dad would check your cervix, deliver your baby, and insert and IUD. But most people don't have the relationship that I do with their fathers.

Do you think you would be close enough to your dad that if he were a doctor you would let him deliver your baby, check your cervix, or insert an IUD?

Now that is a question I would like an answer to!

18 comments:

Kelsey said...

No way in hell.

Meredith said...

you are funny, I love to check your blog.
That is a hard question. He sounds like a WONDERFUL dad, im glad you have him! My dad is great too...but hmmm cant see him checking out my "goods". I would have to say no to him doing that...but hey, good for you for letting him.

Meredith said...

oh, and I can only imagine what Robby says about that! Im sure it would be a good laugh to hear his thoughts on it!!!

Riki Lee said...

If my dad was a doctor, I miiiight do it for the free factor. I don't know though. But that's pretty cool for you.

Tia Langston said...

Ugh, I would not even want my dad in the delivery room with me. But, I wouldn't mind your dad. After all, he was my doctor growing up too...and my seminary teacher for that matter.

Martha said...

I wouldn't mind that if my dad was a dr. Your relationship with his sounds like my relationship with my dad. I would have him in the room when I have my baby and so on. It doesn't seem to weird to me, plus it is free so why not? My husband would think that it is weird though..lol..

Sadie said...

It's hard not to love your dad. He is pretty wonderful. I think your relationship is awesome. I can think of so many women out there that hate their dads and hate their childhood... especially nowadays. So it's refreshing and heartwarming to hear how close you are to your dad.
Oh, and about your question. There are no words to describe how I feel about my dad. I admire and love him more than anything in this world. IF he was an OBGYN I would have no problem delivering my babies. I wouldn't think it was weird at all. But I'm sure Eddie would. ;)
(sorry about the novel)

Karen said...

Oh my gosh I am laughing hysterically at the thought of my Dad inserting an IUD into a houseplant let alone his daughter!

I have a fantastic relationship with my Dad and I trust him with my life ... but not my cervix. As you know, Dad is a carpenter. He has the most calloused hands on Earth. I love the feel of his hands on my forehead when he is comforting me, but the help stops above the shoulders. I agree wholeheartedly with Kelsey on this one, and my Dad would concur. In fact, I'm not even sure I would want Gary to be responsible for the insertion of my birth control. I pay good money not to have to share certain parts of me with people whom I share Thanksgiving dinner.

I'm still giggling!

Tina said...

This is funny! Karen, you remember how Dad is... He doesn't even want you girls nursing your babies if he's in the room!!!! No way on anything else!! funny! Mel, I think your dad is an awesome man and doctor, but.... while he was my doctor while we were on our mission in Utah, colds,flu and migraines were as far as it could go! I'm not much interested in setting across the dinner table at a family gathering with someone who's been that involved with my body, outside of marriage anyway! :>) But I'm glad you can and it works for you... As far as MY dad, oh, good grief, NO! We weren't even allowed to say "pregnant" when I was a kid... it was "expecting". :>) He was so incredibly "proper", that he would have keeled over at even the thought of any of that. I, too, pay good money to not have to see my doctor outside the office or hospital! Great post! xoxox

Leigh Anna said...

I just have to say that I check the yes box when it comes to the best doctor in North America...I mean he put my stitches in my knee, he took them out, he gave me drugs, and once when I had mono he told me about his daughter whom he described to be the same age as me and she too played the piano, he thought we would have gotten along rather well, and then, what would you know, we practiced a duet together at Mrs. Camps. Sigh. It is true, your father is my favorite doc. Speaking of doctors, did you watch ER last night, Ana Klavano last night...It was super. Loves

Anonymous said...

not a chance in you know where.

Becky said...

I'm glad it works for you, but no way for me. No way.

Lyndsay said...

If it were MY Dad, yes it would be the weirdest thing ever (but mainly because he is an ex Secret Service man). But if you grow up with your Dad as a doctor, that would probably be a different story.

emidinkl said...

I'm loving the candidness, Miss Mel. Ya know, if you had asked me this a year ago, I would have said "Heck No!" and had a very kinesthetic response. However, things have changed. Now? (If he were a doctor)--not a huge deal.

christy said...

I had my dad in the delivery room with three of my four kids' births. Not weird. On the contrary, very special. I loved having the people I love most welcoming my beloved children into this world (just as I am sure they will be there to greet them with open arms in the next life). I would not have a problem if he were my doctor delivering my babies.
I stumbled onto your blog today and read about your little Gus. I'm so sorry. My sister lost two children over the last two years. Our family knows heartache. Have you ever gone to Sheyerosemeyer (blog)? It will make you bawl your eyes out, but her writing is beautiful and touches the soul. I think you will love it and will relate.

Mrs. Bennett said...

I have to agree with Karen and Becky. NO WAY! Yeah for you though.

Emily said...

Normally I would think it was really weird to have anyone close to me be my OB/GYN, but while reading this I didn't feel as weirded out as I thought I would, so maybe not.

dean and chelle said...

I won't even be in the same state as my dad, let alone have him near my goodies. Kudos that you and your dad have such a trusting relationship. I'm jealous.