Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Truth Be Told

I haven't been able to stop reading 'The Host' by Stephenie Meyer. Bless her heart, and those who love the Twilight Series, but after reading the series and seeing it be so dramatized, I got pretty sick of it. I really did enjoy the books, but the love stories and triangles got on my nerves more than anything else.

I wasn't sure what to think of 'The Host' when I bought it. I knew it would also be a love story but it's also science fiction and an adult novel instead of young adult. I read a lot of reviews about it and knowing it was about aliens was a little disconcerting but they said she would change how you thought about aliens, the way she changed the way you thought about vampires.

It's true, I hold vampires to a much higher standard now. I guess I wanted to see if she could really change my thoughts about aliens and she's done pretty well so far.

But she has to have that whole love triangle/love story aspect of her books as the driving motivation and at first, it really was obnoxious. It started to feel like another Twilight book instead of something that made you think a little deeper. Not to mention the fact that the main character is about my age, which makes her less mature and more annoying. As the book goes on, she does mature, though, not only on her own but through the eyes of the infinitely wise and knowledgeable alien, Wanderer.

The more I read, the better it seems to get and the less motivated the story is by the love interest. It really has great character development, you realize towards the end. Thank goodness for that, otherwise I would have stopped reading ages ago. But now I just need it finished so it's not on my mind or in my dreams anymore. I'm hoping for a good end and can only assume that's what I'll get. If she disappoints, I'm not sure how I'll officially review the book.

So that's what I'm doing until my mom gets back from her trip and I can start to grieve for Gus more and get it out of my system. It's too on my mind lately. And also, Jenna wins for the best distraction. (P.S. Jenna, your family needs the Honda Odyssey. There's no shame in that awesome, last-you-forever purchase.)

7 comments:

Mrs. Bennett said...

I felt the same way about the Twilight books. They are a fun read, but a little obnoxious at the same time.

Lyndsay said...

I just bought The Host, but haven't started it, yet. Doesn't the main character share your name, as well? I just re-read Twilight. It was good to go back and revisit, but I have no desire to read the entire series again. I was glad to read your interim review, so that I know what to expect from The Host.

Meredith said...

I just bought the book and am going to read it on the plane to Hawaii tomorrow..I HOPE i love it!

again, hang in there

Tia Langston said...

One of my friends is reading 'The Host' right now and seems to have similar thoughts to yours. Also, when are you coming up to Utah. If you're here awhile, we should get together. Miss ya!

Amber said...

I finished it today and I love it. I'm a big Twilight fan, but this is definitely a more challenging read and I think it was much more satisfying. It's so easy to forget that Wanderer isn't human. Hope you enjoy the rest of the book.

The Queen said...

*THUD* Sick of it? Of Edward? Sick... of Edward? Wha?



:) Just kidding. I must admit that Bella is a bit obnoxious. But Edward and Jacob make up for it. Doh! There's that whole triangle thing again... I'm glad you are liking the Host though. I need to get my hands on a copy without actually buying one...

And come on, family over chocolate? We need to talk. ;)

KatieJ said...

I will stop commenting on every post I've missed! But I am glad to get your review of this book, I have been hesitant about reading it but I so loved Twilight. Next time I feel the urge to read I think I will check this one out.