Monday, June 30, 2008

Have You Ever Seen a Cuter Family?

I submit that you have not.

These wonderful people have taken me in since my parents house became suddenly in need of extra space for extra guests. Initially, Gracie and I were both here. But on Saturday, my headache was so bad, while adding some serious anxiety on top, that my wonderful mother agreed to let me stay with Phil & Jenna and she kept Gracie.

Now that I'm ironing out the last of the details of what I need to do to prepare to go home, this seems to be just what I need. Plus, I love hanging out with Jack and Henry.

I went with them to church today where I had the rare pleasure of witnessing a "Hymn Sacrament Meeting." I couldn't believe what I was privy to in that meeting, having never even heard or fathomed of such a thing. Apparently, it's something their ward does about every six months. Anyone is allowed to go up to the pulpit, just like Testimony Meeting, and talk about their favorite hymn, then the congregation has to sing it. I'm still trying to figure out how that got past the drawing board and if the Brethren are aware of these happenings. I guess it is something that only happens in Utah so I'm hoping all the proper authorities are informed.

Personally, I thought it was a waste of time. Has anyone else ever experienced one of these meetings? If so, is it something positive or negative in your mind? I can't for the life of me figure out what would be on the Pro side of a Pros and Cons list.

8 comments:

Robby said...

Oh Man, you're funny. I am going to be laughing about this all day. "Personally I thought it was a waste of time." You are so cute. You probably didn't mean for it to sound funny at all, that's what makes it hilarious. I love you honey. Have a great day. Thanks for giving me a good start to my day. Love, your hubs

Riki Lee said...

I have heard of them being good, but I've never been to one personally. I don't know...

Natalie said...

Wow...you really hated that meeting. They actually did one of those in my ward in Schaumburg (not Utah) and I heard good things about it (I wasn't there that day). However, I think hymns are a vital part of feeling the spirit at church.

Emily said...

A meeting that is primarily music sounds fantastic to me. "A song of the righteous is a prayer unto me" D&C.

Tori :) said...

I've been to a sacrament meeting like that, but just recently our bishop read a letter (I thought from the 1st pres., maybe not...) that said not to do that anymore??

The Queen said...

I'm having a hard time believing that that would be cleared by the head honchos. Our stake has music nights once a year where each ward picks a couple of hymn, talk about them and then everyone sings them. That seems more appropriate to me. :)

Tina said...

The ward we were in on our mission in Elberta, UT did it one time and then our ward here in Heber/Overgaard did it once. I loved it! But, then again, I think the hymns are the best part of the whole meeting! I realy did enjoy it and wouldn't mind doing it again. I hope that letter was not from the 1st Pres. but maybe a Stake Pres.'s opinion for his stake.

Kelsey said...

I don't like church at all, but I think I would actually enjoy a sacrament meeting like that.