Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Couple Kids

Gracie is a whole new woman these days. Her hair is long; when it's wet it goes halfway down her back but you'd never know it because her natural curl is so tight. She also has her own sassy personality. She loves to do things to make me laugh and say "s'funny" after she's done something she's deemed as funny. It's a lot of fun to hang out with her.
Remember my Gus?

I haven't thought about him too seriously for a while. As I have been taking new pictures this year, the label for their folder is right next to the folder from last year of the closest date. The picture above was taken July 20th of last year after his first real bath in the sink.

We are rapidly closing in on the year anniversary of his death and I don't know what I should do for it. On DailyStrength, I asked what other people have done on the first anniversary of their child's death and most have something to do with going to the grave site and sitting there a while. I'm sure we will go out there but I don't think I want to spend the day. Hopefully we'll come up with something for it and I'll be mentally prepared when August 1st finally comes.

8 comments:

Leslie said...

what a sweet little guy. i'll be thinking of you and robby on that day. hugs.

Sherry said...

I lost two children and on their birthdays every year I let go helium balloons. I write messages on the balloons with markers and sometimes even write notes to put inside the balloons before they are blown up. For some reason this really helps, its like letting go of sorrow for awhile and sending it upward and it's also like sending a gift up to them. This simple ritual has helped me out so much over the last 14 years.
Sherry N.

Jenny said...

a friend of mine lost her little boy a few years ago. here's a link to their celebration on his birthday. not sure it will help, but maybe you'll get a few ideas. i'm so sorry for the loss of your gus.
http://theblueeyedbunch.blogspot.com/2008/06/celebration.html

Mrs. Dub said...

i don't have a great idea. since we had and lost our baby in the same minute, i just plan on doing a little birthday-type remembrance.

i do think you should do something fun and uplifting. visiting his grave and reflecting is a great idea. going to the temple and feeling his spirit is good - i love to go there and pretend that they wheel out all the babies in the celestial room.

maybe you could think of something you would have liked to do with him at that age - and do it yourself. act like a kid and let yourself mourn the fact that he never got to be one.

no matter what, i'll be thinking of you!

dean and chelle said...

Since I have no clue what it is like to lose a child, the only thing I can think of is to go to the temple on or as close to the anniversary as possible. I would think that would be where you would most likely feel him next to you. Dean and I will be thinking of you and your family on Aug 1st.

Little Gracie sliding in a mattress! Classic! Are you and Robby and Gracie not coming to WA to the family reunion? I didn't see your name on the list but for some reason I thought I remembered you saying something a while ago about you guys going to it. Am i just going looney?

Sarah Garner said...

Maybe I'm too "fly by the seat of my pants", but my philosophy is always go with your gut instinct. I think it's awesome to plan out some things that you want to do that day. But I would also say, that when the day comes and your emotions tell you there is something else you'd rather do to celebrate your little guy, I say go with it. Don't worry about what you think you SHOULD do. I think there are times that the Lord lets our loved ones that have passed get in touch with us and many times it is through feelings that we have. Maybe Gus will give you a little clue about what HE wants to do.

Whatever you do, I too will send up a prayer or too on your behalf.

You are very strong, a great example to many people that don't even know you!

Anonymous said...

I think the temple is a must!! Then I think you should have fun...that is what Gus would want...we all know he is so why not share in that fun together...better yet do some kind of family service project...make blankets and take them to a women's shelter...there is always strength and healing through service!

The Queen said...

I think the service project is a great idea. Look at how squishy his cheeks were. I'll bet you loved to eat those. And Gracie is such a cutie. Sometimes I wish I were three(?) again so I could do fun things like sliding down an air filled mattress in the living room. :)