Wednesday, July 2, 2008

In Recovery

Well, I survived the ol' root canal, but it didn't go quite as smoothly as one would hope. I was pretty nervous so I borrowed Jenna's MP3 player to keep me distracted, only to have the battery die halfway through. Then, the appointment was only supposed to take maybe 90 minutes but it ended up lasting over 2 hours. That is a long time to have your jaw held open, my friends. They also kept needing x-rays at random times throughout the whole thing and I did not enjoy having to sit up and down while I was already dizzy from the gas.

The kicker to the whole thing was at the end when the Dr. slid into the conversation that he'd accidentally broke off the tip of one of the titanium files in my root. Luckily, he assured me that I wouldn't set off any metal detectors as a result of the metal now permanently lodged in my mouth. Because somehow that would be my first and foremost concern in a situation like that.

At least it's all over and I only need to go back to get a crown and and small filling. Then, hopefully it will be a while before I encounter any dentist in any state.

Also, how sweet is Gracie's hair in that picture?

8 comments:

Tina said...

Oh, I so don't envy your dental experience! I hate dentists!!! Not personal, but the very thought of them sends me over the edge! I slipped on wet cement when I was 10 and broke out my front 2 teeth... that began my hatred for the dental profession!!! I'll tell you the gory details sometime...
Lookin' good!
xox

the landreths said...

It makes my toes curl to think of being in a dentist chair that long. Glad for you that it's over!!

stephanie said...

you've been gone too long. i had forgotten how funny you are. see you soon!

TheGleeds said...

It's good to hear your root canal went well. That's weird about the x-rays...how uncomfortable. They should've done it faster. I think mine only took 20 minutes, but there are always different circumstances. It's funny about the mp3 player because the second part of the root canal mine did the same thing, except I thought it ran out of battery and then 10 minutes later realized that I had pushed the power off - my fault for being so stupid. BTW not sure if you have awesome dental insurance, but my insurance only covered half so I am waiting until September (when I can officially upgrade my dental insurance) so my crown is 100% covered. I got it done in March and am waiting until September. I know they say to get a crown right away, but honestly if you're careful, you can wait a few months to get the crown. Anyway, you probably don't have my same problems but just thought I'd let ya know my nasty insurance dilemma that has worked itself out. Have a great day and hopefully you heal quickly!

Robby said...

Those of you who know Gracie well know that she makes all of her toys kiss, not just the two puppies in this picture.

Leigh Anna said...

Ugh, root canals...no fun. I do not envy you our the position you are in, but one day when we are once again able to see each other face to face we can exchange horror stories. But until then...good luck at your next apt!

Amber said...

I hate that it took so long and they kept having to do x-rays. That's terrible.
When Hartley had his surgery last month it was three fillings, two root canals and four crowns. As bad as it scared me for them to put him under, I'm so glad he got to sleep through the whole ordeal.

The Shabby Princess said...

ick, dental work is the worst! Yes, having your jaw forced open for that long is awful!

Hope you're feelin' better!