Saturday, January 3, 2009

Ghost Town Party

Our friend Wes had his birthday party at an old Ghost Town called Goldfield this past Thursday. The pictures below only depict a few moments of wonderment from the "local folk" doing their hourly skit in the town square. It was very entertaining and we were in prime position for viewing the best of it. The story was the gang of men are robbers who robbed the bank and the Sheriff of Goldfield was so impressed at their quick shooting that he decided to take a group picture of the gang of robbers. Naturally, there appeared the barrel of a gun through the lens cap of the camera so instead of taking their picture, the group was shot. The people there really get into it and it's pretty hilarious but when they shoot blanks from their real live six-gun revolvers, it's pretty loud and smoky. If it hadn't been fake, I'd have thought it was real. But there was no blood to speak of.

Hands down, funnest birthday party so far this year. Gracie ran willy nilly all around the ghost town walking right up to women who were part of the "brothel scene", giving her hello's and how-are-you's. Then we all ate yummy, rare steak and drank Sarsaparilla (which I found out is not a type of cactus but is in fact a type of root beer). Very memorable and very fun. Thanks Johnson's!

Just for everyones general information, I'm still considering egg donation. I would like to hear your thoughts because the pros and cons seem so even that I can't make a decision. The older Gracie gets, the less I want more kids, which can't be a good sign. Someone should benefit from my fertility! In the meantime, the Child Crisis Center will benefit from Gracie and Gus' old baby clothes that we have no use for and maybe I could pick up knitting again and knit blankets for babies, or crocheting. But first, close on the house, start medical transcription, then go from there.

Come on, egg donation thoughts please?

8 comments:

KatieJ said...

Ok I didn't know Sasparilla was root beer until I read the bottle, but that's funny you thought it was a cactus! And since you asked, egg donation- I must have missed a post somewhere- is there someone who needs your eggs? or is there a general need for egg donations? If it's someone specific you know and love, I say go for it, if it's just in general, to some random person to put into their uterus, I say maybe not. You make cute kids of course and your eggs would be in high demand, but I personally would want to know what family was getting my potential offspring you know? If you're looking for a general good deed to do, I would start with something that doesn't involve injecting your body with hormones to stimulate mass egg production! But do what you feel is best of course, I'm just giving my thoughts since you asked, and that's what I think! I am sure you have other gifts to offer humanity besides your fertility.

Jami said...

I kind of already said how I feel but if you know what you're getting yourself into and you still want to do then I say go for it. Obviously the daily shots and the surgery would not be the most fun, but knowing that a couple was able to get pregnant solely based on the fact that you selflessly endured a few weeks of hassle would be pretty amazing. I'll know in a month or so if we need to use an egg donor, and if we do, I will be thankful for women like you.

Lyndsay said...

I would donate! I am sure I have lots to spare. :) I think if you know you could emotionally handle it, then it could be the right thing to do. It's a very selfless and wonderful thing to help someone start a family of their own. Especially if it is someone you know and care about.

amy.legler said...

I would have to agree with the first comment - if its someone you know, then go for it! I think that would be fantastic. But if its just to donate, then I think you have many other wonderful talents that you could use and donate. Like donating Gracie and Gus' clothing, the knitting and crochetting, volunteering down at the hospital etc. I know hospitals are always needing little caps donated for the newborn babies...
Anyway, I love you and will stand beside you 100% with whatever your decision is. Don't forget to include Robbie's and our Heavenly Father's feelings in this major decision too.
Love you!!

Jessica Crozier said...

Hi Mel, I wasn't going to comment, because I think if this is where you're led, then that's awesome! However, to add to Amy's comment, there are so many cool things that go down at Phoenix Children's Hospital. When Emma was first there, she got a blanket made by a non-profit group who does just that ...makes blankets for sick kids. Caps are another wonderful idea...they just expanded their NICU. I have a contact down there if you are interested. But if you do the egg donation, I think that's a wonderful gift and truly selfless. Good luck on your upcoming move!!

Riki Lee said...

We've been to Goldfield. Such a fun idea for a birthday party!

Karen said...

I think Katie said it best. And if your Dad (who knows you better than all of us) thinks that you are crazy on hormones, then I'd say let's just run the opposite direction of the hormones.

I also want to add, that it seems like you are looking for something really BIG, perhaps even blog-worthy, to do with yourself. Remember that all of the little things, especially in your own home are also incredible acts of selflessness that really are important. It seems like you are heading in a positive direction with all of the challenges that you struggle with, I say just keep moving forward and call it all wonderful!

Sarah-Olivia said...

I personally have wanted to but I want to wait until I am done having kiddos myself. I think it would be so amazing. I LOVE the whole pregnancy thing and I feel SO blessed that I am able to get pregnant and feel that little baby move around and all that jazz. I feel so bad for those women who really would love a baby but are unable to get pregnant so if I can help, by golly I am going to! Just for me personally but I suggest pray and fast about if it is the right choice for you.