Saturday, January 24, 2009

Surprise of a Lifetime

This is a baby grand piano that belonged to my Grandma Holmes. My Grandpa Holmes bought it for her in 1968 when they were living in Denver, Colorado. It has real ivory keys that they used before ivory became illegal and the standard became plastic. My Grandparents moved this piano with them to Federal Way, Washington and I remember it from my childhood and we played it whenever we would visit growing up.

The Christmas before last, my Grandpa got my Grandma a new piano and this one was sent down to Maricopa with my Aunt Terrell. But she'd already had her Grandmother's piano so she was trying to sell this one for over a year.

When we bought our new house, my dad decided to buy it for me to have, but my grandparents said he did so much for the family already that they had it moved. I was completely unaware of any of this. When my Aunt Terrell brought over my citrus tree, she even asked me where I was going to put "the" piano and I assumed she was talking about an upright piano that I might get someday, so I humored her and we talked about where it might go. I had no idea she was talking about a piano I was getting the next day.

So yesterday, while Robby and my dad worked on projects all day, I worked on my own and in the afternoon took about an hour and a half nap. When I woke up, Robby told me to I had to come downstairs but he wouldn't tell me why and I heard an unfamiliar voice downstairs. I was extremely hesitant because I could see a truck of some kind in the driveway and I was not feeling up to meeting new people, which was all I could think was happening. He wouldn't say anything as he led me down the stairs. I turned the corner to the left at the bottom of the stairs and standing there where my grandparents, my dad, and this beautiful baby grand piano. I've never been more surprised in my life! I almost always have an idea of what is going on when a surprise is involved for me, but I had no idea anyone was planning anything for me. Not even when my Aunt Terrell asked me where I was going to put "the" piano, I just didn't put things together and didn't ask questions because I would never have thought that any kind of surprise was going to be involved for me for a long time.

So this was a Christmas present from my parents and they'd been planning it since we put the offer on our new house. Robby didn't even know about it until Thursday when my dad flew down. Anyway, I'm so grateful and bursting with happiness for this gift. I never thought in a million years I would have a baby grand piano, let alone one with a history that I grew up with.

Thank you to all involved in this wonderful surprise. I'm so excited to get some piano music and start playing again and someday, in the future, teach piano lessons.

18 comments:

Emily Ruth said...

Mel- What an incredible gesture from all involved in this surprise! I'm so excited for ya--wish I was going to be around so you could help me bring back my almost non-existent skills with those lessons; )

Leslie said...

congratulations! what a wonderful surprise. my grandmother gave me her mother's baby grand piano a couple of years ago and it's priceless to me! it has ivory keys, too, so we try to be careful with it (the rule is that you may only play the piano with your fingers, not hot wheel cars). :)

Riki Lee said...

That is so neat! What a great surprise. It's a beautiful piano too.

Jessica Crozier said...

Mel, that's a great story. You and Gracie are going to have a blast playing it. I actually got my grand piano delivered to our house this past week, too. It doesn't have quite the history like yours, but I grew up learning on that piano. Those are pieces that will stay in the family for years! Good luck with the lessons. Emma and I are in the same position!
(p.s. when I get my act together, I'll have a blog post on it!)

Miranda Townsend said...

That is so great! You are so lucky!

Karen said...

This is a month for surprises! First the Cardinals, now this ... what a great month!

Kelsey said...

Ok, I can't lie, I am SO jealous! What a freaking awesome gift!

Becky said...

How wonderful! What a great surprise. Not only is it beautiful and with a family history, but a piano is such a great addition to a home. Congrats!

Natalie said...

How fun for you! That is a great gift.

The Queen said...

Awesome!! I love having a piano in the house again.

KatieJ said...

That is awesome!

audrey kolb said...

Mel, AWESOME SURPRISE!!!! You deserve it!!!! I love you! Audrey

audrey kolb said...

Mel, AWESOME SURPRISE!!!! You deserve it!!!! I love you! Audrey

audrey kolb said...

Mel, AWESOME SURPRISE!!!! You deserve it!!!! I love you! Audrey

Audrey said...

As you can see, I don't even know how to leave a comment. Sorry. =(

Lyndsay said...

That is FANTASTIC!

crazy lady said...

I know that piano well. You are one lucky duck! I know you'll it'll be put to great use and it's awesome that it will stay in the family. Aren't your parents the BEST!!!! :0)

Tia Langston said...

Wow! That's a great surprise! Even better to know the history of the piano. Very touching. Love the Holmes family.