Monday, February 2, 2009

A Few Other Events

I forgot to mention that my cousin came into town Saturday and I was finally able to meet her two daughters who are both younger than Gracie. This picture was the best we could get of them together because they all had one issue or another with each other.

Chloe (far left) didn't like to be bossed by Gracie and Leyla (far right) was visibly afraid of Gracie. Gracie just gets excited when kids come over to play and she lost her head for a minute, But the emotional damage was already done.

It was a treat to see them and Kelsey who I haven't seen in years. Watching the girls interact is so hilarious and makes me wonder what we were like together at that age. We were grateful for the lovely Arizona afternoon high of 73 as we sat and watched the girls run around.

Switching Gears:

If your name is Gracie and you live at our house today, you are recovering from a very traumatic carsick experience.

We were running a bunch of errands in the early morning today and Gracie's poor little body just was not used to it. I stopped to get her crackers because I thought she was hungry as we were nearing snack time. But her screaming would not subside after she had a half of one animal cracker.

I glanced back just in time to see her throw up all over herself. It was pretty traumatic because we were nowhere near home and I was just merging onto the freeway going the exact opposite direction of home. So we stopped, I cleaned her up as best I could (at that point thinking she might have the flu) and then started the car to get going home.

Only then did I realize it must be carsickness because she was screaming and banging on the door of the car the entire ride home without rest.

Now we are home, she's had a bath, and is relaxing her little tummy to her favorite shows. She just barely fell asleep in her bean bag chair and is dreaming away her troubles, completely voluntarily, in the middle of the day.

Luckily, she's picked up on the potty training really quickly. She hasn't had an accident since the first day and is waking up pretty consistently dry. She's only in panties now as she naps so we'll see where the afternoon takes us with that one.

Now for some Mel R&R.

5 comments:

crazy lady said...

WoW! She looks pale in that little bean bag. Hope she's all better now. that puking in the carseat is the worst!
I thought of you many a time yesterday. What a roller coaster ride!

Jillsywillsy said...

Bless her heart. I am glad she is better. I really hope potty-training goes well for you.

Kelsey said...

Poor little girl! And now that I've experienced the Phoenix/Mesa freeway, I can really empathize with the timing of the throw up. I don't know what I would have done in that situation.

I also like how she's got her box of animal crackers next to her in the picture. Very cute.

So, it was pretty awesome to finally see you after so long. Not to mention, get a little taste of 80's Bowie.

Becky said...

I feel for you with the car sickness. Megan has car sickness so bad, she throws up in the car constantly. It is horrible to say the least.

Kacey's View said...

Why of course I'll photograph your lovely little family! You just say when Melanie McKinnon. And then I'll say "ok". Unless it's a bad day for me... and I'll suggest another day.. and eventually it will all work out! haha