Monday, March 23, 2009

All Ready to Learn

Gracie was born to go to school. And I don't mean that in the literal sense because every kid is essentially born to attend a school of some kind. It's Gracie's personality that sets her apart from the rest.

I woke her up this morning after a long drive home from LA yesterday (more on that later) and said, "Gracie? Do you want to go to school today?"

Even in her tired stupor, she smiled and laughed and said, "Yeah! Kids!"

It was a little bit of a rocky start while we waited at the flag pole for her teacher because she was so anxious to get in there. Then, when she tried to stay close to her teacher, who was holding a kid who did NOT want to be there and showing it with kicking and screaming, poor Gracie got a shoe to the head.

She said, "Ow." Then moved on. I don't think anything would deter her from her extreme determination to get into that classroom. She wasn't even out-of-control excited. Just ready to get down to business as the picture illustrates below.

She could not figure out why the one kid was screaming or what was taking Ms. Keller (who she calls Miss Color) so long to get going already.

They finally started herding the children inside and Gracie followed along like a little puppy behind Ms. Keller.

I kissed her head before she got out of reach, then she said, "Bye, mom. I wub you."

And that was it. My girl is grown up. There will be show-and-tell, good-day rewards, a potty break, and outside time. I don't think it matters that she can only start and end sentences with actual, audible words and fills in the rest of the sentence with mumbling. She's gonna figure out her adverbs and adjectives in no time.

10 comments:

Tina said...

Those are such cute pictures!!! How fun! Keep us posted, eh? xox

Tiffany said...

She loooks so cute! That will be fun to start a new adventure. Fun for her and a little break for you!

Robin said...

She looks so cute and happy to go! What a doll!

stephanie said...

oh man, she is going to love it! i'm so happy for her.

Jenna said...

Wait, whaaaat...? Gracie is going to SCHOOL!?! No, that just doesn't seem right, does it? All of a sudden she's carrying around a backpack that's almost as big as she is? This is breaking my heart! I'll be a trainwreck when Jack and Henry go to school...

Jim and Jami said...

she is sooo cute!

Devin and Chelsey said...

Ohhh she is adorable with her little pony tail and backpack! I'm so excited for you and her, that's such a big step for her! I hope she does well!

Karen said...

I'm so excited for her! And she looks adorable.

KatieJ said...

She is so cute! I hope she loved every minute! School is so fun when they're little!

grandmasmith said...

I loved being able to see Gracie with her hair all pulled back and picturing her determined to go to school. I miss seeing her (and you and Robby, too, of course)