Monday, March 9, 2009

Fire

When I was 10, we had a house fire. Not a beautiful one like the setup you see today (brought to you by the hardworking hands of Mr. Robby Mck); the kind that ruins all your stuff with smoke damage and water damage. The kind that seeps it's smell into the fibers of the home so you will always get that nostalgic whiff when you walk in, I don't care who redoes the drywall. The kind that gives you nightmares that you will be abducted by aliens because you are living in the wrong house in the same town.

You know, that totally normal kind.

Considering how traumatic the fire was for me, I'm surprised my subconscious allowed and even suggested this fire be built. But I've been through quite a few traumatic events since then that I don't think it takes precedence anymore.

I'm just grateful I was able to share this beautiful fire with my wonderful husband and my adorable daughter. It helps me appreciate this house and the little things I love about my life more when I'm reminded how quickly everything could change.

Gratitude is so underrated. At the end of every day, I try to list 5 good things that happened and 5 things I am grateful for. This helps me live in the moment because that is the way I've found my most recent happiness.

3 comments:

Emily Ruth said...

Beautiful perspective Mel. I love that you list your gratitudes. Maybe sometime you could share a few of them with us. You know, start a Gratitude Tag- Listing 5 things you are grateful for. Wait, I just started it. Tag. You're it!

Lyndsay said...

Oh I love that you have a fire place. And I need to start the grateful journal myself! Those puppet photos of Gracie are fantastic, by the way... :)

crazy lady said...

Lovely fire and a love perspective. Looks like you're getting pretty settled into your new home. Thanks for the reminder about gratitude and how quickly things can change. I needed it.