Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Four Solid Hours

She's gone that long.
I take her to the curb,
then pick her up at that same curb.

So now what do I do with all this free time I have?
Well, I'll tell you. . .

1. Help my friend, Ems, organize and pack for a big move
(but I'll be secretly angry with her the entire time,
because of said move away from me).

2. Practice the piano in an empty house and
hopefully learn a Brahms Rhapsody by the time school is out.

3. Try to keep and maintain an organized and clean home,
along with trying to bone up on some new homemaking-type-things.
Of sorts.
And kinds.
And stuff.

Most importantly, 4. Be available to those who need me.

It seems clear to me that with all my new free time,
and the fact that I enjoy every last ounce of it,
shows me my talent and passion in life is not being a mother.

I love my Gracie and my Gus and wouldn't trade them for anything in the world.

But it took me 19 years to find my Robby and
4 more years to be able to enjoy him to the maximum extent,
and I like him a lot.

So I've found that mothering, while fulfilling and wonderful,
is not something that comes naturally to me.

Being able to help other people when they are in tight situations
or be there for someone going through a rough patch (like I have and will continue to)
or fill in for a teacher/parent by watching some kids here and there
comes much more naturally to me than anything else.

And I say let's utilize that while we have the chance.

Who knows how long the grass will be green over here.

4 comments:

'Garrett's mom' said...

That picture is so cute! I can't believe she's in preschool!

Kacey's View said...

So Gracie rides the short bus eh?

Emily Ruth said...

And I owe you big time. Thanks chica for getting me on a roll!

KatieJ said...

How fun for both of you! I'll confess to really looking forward to the day I have a few hours a day with no kids home!