Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Kitchen Table

Here is our grown-up Gracie enjoying some scrambled eggs, voluntarily, for the first time in her life. It had to be documented. While I was doing that, I thought I might ask for some input on our kitchen table.

It's nothin fancy. Robby got it for free from a family that somehow ruined the finish and were getting rid of it. We've had it since our apartment days. Back then, the finish never bothered us. We didn't eat enough meals at the table to warrant any fuss about it.

It was thrust into the central part of our home when we moved here so she's had quite a bit of use over the past 6 months. Somewhere along the way, between the use and the cleaning, the table has developed some kind of sticky coating that cannot be removed.

I know nothing in the way of refinishing furniture except how to put new handles on an old dresser. Does anyone have an idea of the problem I'm dealin with and how I might remedy it? The tacky surface is only getting worse every time I clean it and I'm tired of picking off the left-over lint after it's been wiped down.

4 comments:

Robert and Heidi Richardson said...

It could be that whatever you are cleaning it with is eating away at the finish, or that the original finish job was really poor quality so it is just wearing away and getting sticky by itself. Either way it should probably get refinished. (This is Heidi Wilcken (now Richardson) by the way) My dad really loves to refinish things. It's a random hobby of his. He could take a look at it for you and then maybe refinish it for little or no cost. He did my oldest sister Christi's table and it turned out great.

Tina said...

I have no clue, except to say... CALL NICOLLE!!! She refinishes stuff all the time and I'm sure could help you. Good luck!

Lyndsay said...

I've always wanted to do this to a table:
http://www.diyideas.com/quickprojects/FurnitureCabinets/decoupage-furniture_ss1.html

That's awesome about the eggs. The other day Finn requested PEAS. I almost fell out of my chair when he ate all of them.

Did you get my e-mail in response to your organ e-mail?

:) Miss you guys!

Karen said...

Yes ... call Nicolle quick!