Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Watermelon Season

No doubt about it. July Equals Watermelon. Especially with the situation we've been living with over here for the past couple weeks. From small headaches, to back pain, to severe migraines, to vomiting, and straight to my pitch dark room with the covers over my head.

I didn't really think much about the Arizona heat when we moved here except that I vowed to tolerate and adjust to it and only whine about it once a year. It does me no good to wish I were living somewhere else when we live here. I've learned to accept and embrace AZ. I can't think of anywhere else we'd be able to live.

This past spring was the best AZ spring I've experienced to date. Every day I could plan something with Gracie because of the fabulous ActiveMoms events calendar. And we did! I pushed myself to the limit and found that I really was stronger than I thought I was. It's a great feeling.

But now I'm facing a new dilemma. I've tried to be as active as anyone can be in this blazing heat by making sure we go swimming with a friend at least once a week. Turns out this is too much for me. After an amazingly fun afternoon last Thursday, swimming with Katie and the girls (and chubby love-him-to-death Charlie), all the horrible symptoms began (and a little during the visit; Katie was a great sport :).

Friday came with the absolute worst headache I've ever had, and I've had several doozies. This was more than a migraine and absolutely unwilling to default to medication. I could have gone to the ER and gotten a shot that would have knocked me right out (my dad has given me several shots like that before), but I decided to wait it out and take as minimal amount of medication as possible.

I survived, but continue to be a ticking time bomb for headaches. I made it through the night time hours of Saturday (thank goodness because I really needed some socialization) and through and hour and a half of church on Sunday. The headache started pursuing me again so I had to back off.

Yesterday and today, I'm living as if I'm snowed in and can't leave my house. Opening the blinds is out of the question, and in the afternoon, when the sun shines primarily downstairs, I can only be down there for 5 or 10 minutes at a time. Then I have to go lay down to keep the headache I feel slowly creeping in from overtaking me.

It's very frustrating. I've stretched my wings and found some real confidence in myself but my body will not allow me to take advantage of it because of the heat and sunlight. And you really can't live in AZ in the summer and not encounter heat and sunlight.

But I'm not quitting. I am going to figure out a way to survive the Arizona summers and find my boundaries so I can continue to be a mother and wife. I don't want to do anything else. It's just going to take some time and I'm sure a lot more pain through trial and error.

So I'll be here at home trying to work that out. Luckily, Gracie is good at keeping herself busy, but she did ask in her prayers tonight if she could go swimming. We just have to keep a positive attitude and not get discouraged and hopefully we'll get to that pool at least once before she goes back to school (on August 10th).

4 comments:

KatieJ said...

Maybe if we tried swimming in the morning sometime instead? I'm sorry you've been so sick!

Devin and Chelsey said...

Good for you for keeping positive. That's awsome that you are trying as well with out medications! I'll be praying for ya!

Natalie said...

I get heat headaches too. Luckily mine aren't as bad as yours. I've always thought the downside to AZ is the opposite of MI: where you are you can't go out in the summer (very easily) and where I am we can't go out in the winter (very easily).

crazy lady said...

Man that's the worst. I hope you're doing better. Way to keep working on the positive and striving to make the best of the situation. Hope you're doing better.