Monday, November 30, 2009

Family Picture and Pet Fostering

We had our Christmas card pictures taken yesterday. The above is a preview and if you want a copy of the real deal, which includes three different adorable pictures, and you are worried you are not already on my list, email me and I will send one out to you. The photos were taken by my wonderfully talented niece, Kacey Shaker. Check her out!

Now, onto Pet Fostering.

We are going to be foster parents to a dog sometime this week. Many people are skeptical about what it is and why we are doing it so I thought I would clear things up so everyone is on the same page.

I did a lot of research about pet fostering before deciding to do it so I'm well versed. You are welcome to ask me any question you want and I will happily give you the answer.

Pet fostering is almost exactly like child fostering. Our only job is to love and take good care of the animal while we wait for it to be adopted so I don't know how long we will have said animal. The only difference is there are events to parade the animal around for potential adopters; this is not done with children, that I know of.

For those who are worried about us becoming too attached with the dog to give it back, let me reassure you. First of all, we are welcome to adopt the dog at any time. Second, I really have thought this through and am prepared as much as possible for a temporary situation. Third, if we cannot handle the dog or it's too much or any concern or problem arises, they take the dog back without question. They are always willing to do this.

Everything is paid for that the dog might need. The only thing we have to pay for is food and volunteered time. I'm looking forward to this new journey and will certainly keep you abreast of any new developments.

We are doing this because we have thought about getting a pet for a long time now but are scared of the commitment and don't know how we will do with one. This is the best way to find out if we are pet people and also do some good for some sweet dogs at the same time.

7 comments:

Jenna said...

What are you doing with said dog when you come up to Utah for a few weeks? That is my least favorite part about having a pet: finding a "sitter" when we go out of town. That, and having a backyard full of land mines and blotchy dead grass. Don't get me started... I suppose I'm just not a pet person. But I do love me some Harti-tanch!

melmck said...

i already told them about when we would be gone and they are planning around it. and they will take the dog if we still have it. so all is well. bring on the next!

Abbie said...

Our neighbors in Tucson fostered dogs, and I thought they were awesome for doing it. But their house smelled SO bad. Turns out they were secretly fostering like 50 dogs, and made the news just after we moved. Try not to secretly foster 50 dogs, k?

I think it's a great idea, and we'd love to come visit your new dog sometime.

Jim and Jami said...

Mel, that is so sweet! Both the pic and the dog fostering. I would love to foster dogs, however we adopted our two dogs 19 months ago and they are now 100 pounds each. It wouldn't be a good idea to mix the two since we adopted them before they were 6 weeks old. They don't know they are dogs, imagine that! I will email my address so you can send christmas card and I will send one your way.

Tina said...

Very interesting.. sounds like fun....

Leigh Anna said...

I'm all about how cute your family picture is!

Lyndsay said...

I think this is a great idea!