Friday, December 4, 2009

The Noticer by Andy Andrews Review


As my first book as a review blogger, I was pleasantly surprised that Andy Andrews had this book available. I've heard great things about The Traveler's Gift and wondered what this book could even be about.
The Noticer is a wonderfully inspirational book that comes straight from Andy's real life. It introduces us to Andy when he's in his early 20s and homeless, living under a pier in one of the Gulf states, as I understood it. A man named "Jones" finds Andy and offers him a new perspective on his life.
He told him that opportunities come from other people and if he wants opportunities, he has to ask himself: "What is it about me that other people would change if they could?"
Jones also leaves Andy with three biographies to read: Winston Churchill, Will Rogers, and George Washington Carver. He then tells Andy: "Think. Learn. Pray. Plan. Dream. For soon. . .you will become." This point in Andy's life becomes the pivotal moment where he turns his life around to become the man he is today.
There are several other stories in this book where Jones offers a new perspective on problems different members of the community are facing, and he somehow achieves this in a completely benign and loving way. Many different people throughout the book are changed and improved for the better.
This book is wonderfully inspirational and uplifting. It also asks us the hard questions to help us get a different perspective on our own lives and has a Reader's Guide at the end to direct us where we might need to go.
I highly recommend this book. It was quick, easy and fun for me to read and I learned a lot from it.

1 comment:

crazy lady said...

Sounds like a good one all right. I'm always on the lookout for good books.
Thanks.