Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Sometimes it IS Depression


I think most of you are aware that I regularly take anti-depressants and am very pro-medication when it comes to mental stability. I've had depression for 10 years now so taking my meds is second nature and has always proved necessary. Sometimes I test the waters with lower doses of my regular meds or stop them altogether just to make sure I still need them. It can be quite cumbersome to manage all my medication.

Well, last week was one of those weeks where I thought I could do without my prozac for a few days. I've done it before in 2 to 3 day increments and survived, no reason I should think this time would be any different. But it was going to be a good 10 days before I could get said prozac, so I decided I would supplement with an expired anti-depressant I had from a few years ago thinking that would at least keep my serotonin levels at a manageable point.

As you probably guessed, this did not prove successful and the result was jam packed days and sheer exhaustion. In all the years of taking prozac, I did not know that abruptly stopping the medication would cause major fatigue. The only symptom I'd ever experienced before was crying in the bathroom and feeling guilty for crying in the bathroom.

So when I felt completely exhausted and sleepy all the time, I had no other explanation than that my Epstein Barr had come back as I could not think clearly of any other cause. I decided to call my dad just to find out for sure what it was he thought I was dealing with since fatigue can really be caused by anything. When I told him the changes in my medication, he said, "If you go off your prozac abruptly, you're pretty much gonna be exhausted."

The proper medication was called in and now I'm waiting for it to work it's magic. I'm so ready to have some energy and stop crying in the bathroom. Plus, we have a trip to Utah next week and I need to get my game face on for the road trip. Once again, I say hooray for modern medicine.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

About every 6 to 8 months, I seem to think that I'm all better and no longer need antidepressants. So I stop taking them. And it's always a huge mistake. I've finally come to terms with the fact that I will be on antidepressants the rest of my life. So hopefully no more testing the waters for me. Because my results haven't been any better than yours.