Saturday, January 15, 2011

Trying My Hand


Gracie's hair is a nightmare for me. The curls are absolutely adorable and completely forgiving, but problems arise when it comes time to actually brush through those lovely locks. I will go weeks without brushing through it because of the hassle and pain it causes. We like pony tails, half pony tails, and bobby pins. I'm just not a very inventive person when it comes to my daughter's hair.

So during her bath the other night, I decided I'd slather it in conditioner and try to comb it out. It was pretty bad. Robby had to try and distract Gracie from the pain by making her laugh while I spent 20 minutes parting and pulling and ripping. After that experience, I thought I might as well try and cut Gracie's hair myself as the length was the cause of all the trouble. I felt pretty confident, I've cut hair before, no big deal.

Unfortunately, I've never cut curly hair before. It went nothing like I thought it would, with the curls everywhere and nothing lining up. I still don't know if it looks right but I would have no idea where to try and fix anything should something be amiss. For my first time, I'd say it went alright. Plus, she's 5. She doesn't care.

In other news, I'm currently making some more medication adjustments where I'm going to go completely off my bi-polar meds. I'm about half way there and I already don't like it one bit. Bear with me while I adjust.

7 comments:

Amy Legler said...

You are a brave momma to cut her curly hair! Justin asks me to cut his hair and I would rather eat sardines than do that. Bravo to you!

grandmasmith said...

Good luck! I love you!

Tina McKinnon said...

Talk with Tim's Nicolle... She has some kind of spray detangler that they really like. I think she buys it a Target and it's not expensive at all... Good luck! xox

Natalie said...

I feel like I really should comb Sydney's hair twice a day since it gets so ratty. Maybe if I did it more often, it wouldn't be so bad. I'm totally with you though, I dread it since it does cause the pain and crying. No fun.

Lyndsay said...

I'm all about trying to cut hair yourself. HA! But as long as it's wet, the lines are straight, and you cut it the same amount on all sides, even if it's curly it should be fine. When I combed the tangles out of Gracie's hair that day I did it in small sections, and started with the bottom and worked my way up. I know you do it WAAAAAYYYYY more that I've ever done, but I just remembered that it kept her from screaming if I worked it out ends to roots a little at a time.

Have you tried this? I've heard good things from a friend who's daughter has curly hair:

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Sprout-Miracle-Detangler/dp/B0007XFB2W/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

jckhadlocks said...

I was hoping to see an after picture of her hair!! I'm sure you did great and like you said she is 5, she probably doesn't care.

Brandy and Robert said...

Coming from someone's who's been battling curly hair for my whole life and who now deals with brushing a 1-year-old's curly hair too--GOOD LUCK!! My suggestion is to get her hair damp, spray a generous amount of detangler in and comb out EVERYDAY. We use Suave detangler. I know if I skip a day (for me or Katie) it takes me 10 times longer than if I had just done it. Also when it does get bad, shampoo, condition and with the conditioner in use your fingers to comb it out. Also rinse it every now and then in vinegar, sounds crazy but it will help remove the buildup from shampoos or other stuff and will help everything go better. Good Luck!! Oh, and as for cutting her hair, it's curly I wouldn't worry too much. I cut my own hair for about 15 years of my life. ;) She always looks so cute!