Tuesday, June 7, 2011

It Only Takes:

Gracie and baby Grant

I am always looking for easier ways to do things. Unfortunately, most things that need doing are not easy. So in an effort to not overwhelm myself with all my constant responsibilities, I made a list of some things I know I have to do sometimes and how long it takes me to do them. That way I know what it will take to get a specific job done. Here's what I've figured out so far:

In Only Takes:

10-15 minutes to make chicken and rice
10-15 minutes to do the dishes
10-15 minutes to gather and load laundry
10-15 minutes more to fold and put away laundry
15 minutes to pick up a room
10 minutes to vacuum a clean room
15-20 minutes to set up a craft for Gracie
10-15 minutes to blow dry my hair (which I hate doing)
30 minutes to vacuum and mop the kitchen

This list has helped me so much, I thought I'd share it. When I see those numbers I think, "I can do anything for 10 or 15 minutes!" And the 30 minute things I can save for my more ambitious days, which always come if I don't push myself too hard every single day, but make sure I do push myself when I know I can handle it. Such is the life of living with depression. Some days are good and some days are bad. I just have to capitalize on the good days and remember the bad days won't last forever. Tomorrow is always a new day.

And here's a conversation I had with Gracie today:

Gracie: "Mom, you sure did a good job of getting juice yesterday! I looked in the freezer and just saw it!"
Me: "Do you want me to make you some juice?"
Gracie: "That would be splendid! Splendid means good."

She's a pistol with endless amounts of energy but she makes me smile every single day.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Love love love this. I mean I know those things only take that much time, but to see it written out like that is very helpful. Thank you! :)

Claytie and Suzie said...

Oh my goodness, thanks you for sharing this. I think you were inspired to share it for me! I was thinking about this lately.. Great idea to write it out.

stephanie said...

Pistol is such an excellent description of Gracie. Love it! And I love this list. Such a good idea.

Lizzy said...

i so appreciate this mel! i look at dishes some days and think there is no way i can possibly do them before the day is done. then when i do them i realize it didn't take that long and i feel better because my sink is clean. thanks for posting!