Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Homemade Laundry Soap

I'm in super-savings mode these days. Today, the combination of Robby's day off and a mysterious boost of motivation on my part created the perfect situation for me to make my own laundry soap from a blog I found through Pinterest. I got this from Being Creative to Keep My Sanity.


1 4lb box Borax
1 4lb box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
1 4lb box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
2 bars Zote soap (or 3 bars Fels-Naptha soap)
2 small containers oxi-clean (this is optional, I guess)

Start by grating the Zote soap (or Fels-Naptha) just like cheese.

Then toss all ingredients in a 5 gallon bucket lined with a garbage bag.

Mix all together and store in whatever container works for you (I used an old laundry detergent box).

Here's what the finished product looks like:


It probably took me about 10-15 minutes
and smells so good.
Now I just have to run out of my current laundry detergent
to test this baby out.

Tomorrow,
homemade dish soap.

4 comments:

stephanie said...

Whoa. You're on a roll.

Katie said...

Please post about how it works; I'm intrigued!

KatieJ said...

Yes please let us know if it works! I am on a cash only budget and it stinks, I need to find some more ways to save! We do a lot of laundry...

Tina McKinnon said...

This is cool! Can't wait to hear how it works. I love the Zote bar soap... I keep one by my washer to scrub collars and spots on clothes with... Works great. Try that as well. I just tear down the wrapping paper to expose an inch or two, wet the item and the bar and scrub away with it.